Sunday, December 16, 2012

REDPOLLS IN GASPORT


Last weekend I told Gasport birdwatchers to keep an eye out for pine siskins at their feeder. It looks like we have another winter visitor to Gasport --- the less common redpoll.

I hadn't seen redpolls in Gasport since my teen years, so we are looking at 20 years since a irruption like that which we have now. Winter in its full strength isn't upon us, yet I've had almost a dozen of these birds at my feeder this weekend.

These birds typically live where the spruces end and the tundra starts in northern Canada and sometimes they come down to the northern US when there normal foodstuff (birch, alder and willow seeds) is in low supply "north of 60".

They are very attractive, small birds with light brown and white plumage accented by red on the chest and a red topnotch (where the name redpoll comes from). They are not to be confused with the more sparrow-like house finches that frequent Gasport.

To learn about these birds go here:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Redpoll/lifehistory

To attract them to your yard, set out a feeder that has nyjer seed.

I hope you can see these delightful Canadian creatures!