Sunday, August 30, 2009

KEVIN MACDONALD WELCOMES THE SCHOOL YEAR

The Roy-Hart school district website features a letter from new superintendent Kevin MacDonald, welcoming students and parents to a new school year. Here's the letter:

To all members of our school community,

I would like to welcome our students who are returning for the 2009-2010 school year. I hope all of you have made the best out of a summer that was a bit late in arriving and have found the time to relax and re-energize for what is sure to be a fantastic school year.

I am thrilled to be back at Roy-Hart and look forward to meeting many of our parents and community members at the various activities throughout the school year. In my short time since returning, I have experienced an incredible amount of positive energy from the staff and community and look forward to getting the year started. I am enjoying my interactions with all stakeholders and taking the time to look, listen, and learn all the great accomplishments of the district, and viewing potential challenges as an opportunity to learn and grow. Please, if you see me at an event or out in the community, introduce yourself if for nothing else just to say “hi” (it will help me attach names with faces).

I would like to welcome Mr. Michael Murphy as our new High School Principal. I am excited to have Mr. Murphy as part of our team and I know he is looking forward to meeting the staff, students and community members. There have also been a few staff changes due to retirements, etc. Please read the articles from the Building Principals inside the newsletter for changes specific to each building.

There are a number of exciting new initiatives beginning this year. We will be implementing Fundations and Wilson Reading at the elementary level and participating in deep curriculum alignment for mathematics in grades K-8. At the high school level all students will be participating in a pilot program called Invisionit which will provide students with a wealth of information about themselves. Based on their interests, the program will offer further insight into what career areas, high school and college majors may best fit their profile. In grades 5-12 the district will continue with "Rachel’s Challenge" which focuses on teaching kindness and compassion in the school and community. A community event is planned for October 19th; more information will be available shortly.

I have a healthy respect for all the good work and accomplishments of the past, and a tremendous faith in our future, and look forward to working together to chart a course with a bright future! Should you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at 735-2000 ext 2318.