Thursday, November 6, 2008

THE GASPORT COUNCIL RACES

The report from the Lockport US&J...

ELECTION 2008: GOP rules in town council contests

In Royalton, Daniel R. Bragg defeated Mary Cedeno with 59 percent of the vote, 1,541 to 1,078. Bragg, who is also a member of the Royalton-Hartland School Board, will complete the term, which was vacated by Supervisor Richard Lang.

“I’ll start by working with council members to get the financial picture in line. That’s my priority,” Bragg said. “I want to start creating a vision and a plan for the infrastructure and how we’re going to finance it.”

There will be two slots open next year, and Bragg expects Cedeno will run again in 2009. “She’s a good opponent and worked hard,” he said. “She’ll be a voice in this community.”

Cedeno, a member of the Planning Board, noted that Bragg has better name recognition in the town. “He’s been entrenched for a long time. I think I did okay. As people get to know me, they’ll feel more comfortable. Next year will be a different story.”

They were bidding for the final year of Lang’s four-year council term which had been handed over to Lee Criswell.

In Hartland, W. Ross Annable turned back newcomer Joseph T. Derda for a one-year term. Ross Annable, the son of Supervisor William Annable, got 66 percent of the votes.

“I got out and saw the people and got a good response,” Ross Annable said.

William Annable had been hospitalized with back surgery, but will soon be back in business, his son said.

Ross Annable is retired from the Niagara County Sheriff’s Department and is police chief of Barker. He was endorsed by the Republican and Conservative parties.

“He’s a good man. He’ll do a good job,” Derda said of Annable.

Derda feels that there may be two openings next November and said, “Oh yeah, I’ll be back next year.”

Derda said he was a 3-1 underdog and got more votes many expected. “I’m happy with the turnout,” the Democratic candidate said. “I learned a lot and appreciated the opportunity. I will be back. I’ll be keeping a closer eye on what’s going on in town.”

Source: http://www.lockportjournal.com/local/local_story_310032456.html