Monday, April 21, 2008

AN INTERVIEW WITH MIKE COLE

Once a month here at Life and Times in Gasport, NY we interview a Gasport resident or someone who has a considerable impact on our fair town. This month's interview is Assemblyman Mike Cole.

Mike has been representing us in Albany for 2 years now, taking the seat in May of 2006 in a special election held after the passing of the wonderful Sandra Lee Wirth. He was elected for a full term in November of 2006. He is up for election again this November in a hotly-contested race.

Mike is relatively young (early 30's) amongst all the greybeards in Albany. The Alden native came through the ranks as an Alden councilman and then became their supervisor. He and his wife Lori still reside in the Village of Alden with their daughters, Emily and Allison.

Mike is a 2001 law school graduate of UB and a 1994 graduate of my alma mater, Brockport State. He gained extensive government experience as the General Counsel and Senior Field Representative for former Congressman Jack Quinn.

Here's what Mike had to say about Albany and Royalton....

1) How is Albany handling the transition in executive leadership?

Let me begin by saying that our new governor has responded to the most difficult and unforeseeable set of circumstances with tremendous grace and humility. Let me also say that I’ve appreciated his clear efforts to repair the relationship between the executive and the legislature that has really been in rough shape for several years.

Unfortunately, because of the transition and the time constraints that are constitutionally in place for the budget, we saw what was really the least open, least inclusive, and least transparent budget processes that we’ve seen in many, many years. “Three men in a room” was alive and well in Albany this year. Rank and file members in both houses and from both sides of the aisle were kept in the dark as negotiations dragged on past the deadline.

I’ll give the new governor the benefit of the doubt because of the unusual and difficult circumstances, but we’ll be watching next year to make sure that the progress that had been made in recent years on budget reform gets back on track.

2) Are there any bills that are special to you in this session?

There are really two bills that I believe are fundamentally important to our community and to the state as a whole. The first, A. 5577, would prohibit the harmful state practice of “backdoor borrowing” and would put in place borrowing limits in general for the state in any given year. The fastest growing portion of our state budget is debt service. More and more of our tax dollars are used to “pay the minimum” on the state “credit card.” The fact is, we’re literally mortgaging our state’s future on the backs of the next generation. No wonder so many are fleeing the state!

The second piece of legislation that really warrants some serious consideration this year is A. 8875, the New York State Property Taxpayer Protection Act, that I co-sponsored with Mike Fitzpatrick, a colleague from Long Island. This legislation would cap local annual property tax increases at 4%, or the rate of inflation, whichever is lower. The bill would also eliminate the all-too-common practice in Albany of unfunded mandates, provide for state takeover for all optional Medicaid services, and provide our schools with fourth and eigth grade test reimbursement.

If we’re going to really be serious about turning around the upstate economy, we need to get serious about the alarming rate that taxes continue to rise and Albany’s spending problem. Each of these bills seeks to bring real reform to a system that badly needs it.

3) Is there anything specific to the town of Royalton coming down the pipleline....grants, funds, projects?

Working closely with State Senator Maziarz, we’ve been able to identify funding for some important projects in Royalton. But because the budget hasn’t yet been signed into law, it’d be premature to comment too specifically. All I can say is “stay tuned!”

4) What does your election platform look like this year?

The platform this year is the same as it was in my previous elections---I’ll be focused on three topics which I believe are all related. First and foremost, I’ll focus on tax relief. Whether we’re talking property taxes, business taxes, or the taxes we pay at the pump, the rising tide of taxes has been the biggest obstacle to economic recovery.

Second, I’ll promote our agenda for the economy that focuses on good paying jobs here in our community. I’ve worked closely with business organizations like the Buffalo Niagara Partnership and the National Federal of Independent Business that has been the voice of small business for years. I’m proud of their past endorsements, and I’m thankful for the expert advice groups like that give about making our region more competitive. If any of your readers haven’t had a chance to read “Unshackle Upstate,” I hope they’ll take the time to check it out.

Finally, like most New Yorkers, I’m disgusted with just how dysfunctional our legislature really is. Until we do something about the way business is done in Albany, businesses will continue to be UNDONE here in Western New York.

To find out specifics about our Conference’s platform on a myriad of issues, please visit me at http://www.mikecole.us/ and click on the “ReNew NY” link.

5) You're coming up on completion of two years in Albany. What are your thoughts on state government? Is it what you expected?

The fact is that there’s a lot wrong in Albany. The dysfunction that people write about is real. The disconnect between some of the leaders and the communities we represent is also real. But, one thing that I think I’ve been surprised by is how shared that feeling is among rank-and-file members. As ironic as it sounds, there’s a lot of hope in the Assembly. There are people on both sides of the aisle who are fighting for change—fighting to make New York better. There are people who want to learn what it’s like to face the challenges that we face in our part of the state. And they want to share their experiences, too. If we are going to get real results for New Yorkers, we need to stop looking through that downstate lens and start seeing the state as a whole.

6) Tell us a little about Mike Cole, the man.

I think first and foremost, I’m Blessed to live in a community I love with a family that keeps me grounded while I have the opportunity to serve in a job that I was meant to do.

These past few years haven’t always been easy. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done. But even on the most trying and difficult days, I can honestly say it’s been truly a pleasure to be Assemblyman. In many ways, this has really been the most rewarding experience of my life.

I think that my success in the past and hopefully into the future has been that I relate well to the people I represent. I’ve lived here my whole life. I grew up in the little town of Alden and it’s where Lori and I are raising our two girls, Emily and Allie. I know what it’s like to struggle to pay the family’s bills or to find work in a tough economy. But I also know, and will never forget, that despite all the problems that we have, we’re very lucky to live in a truly special place.