Thursday, April 28, 2011

GASPORT POUNDED BY WIND STORM

Gasport was hit by major windstorms this morning.

The entire county below the escarpment and along the lake shore got the worst of it in Western New York. Sustained winds throughout the area stayed well above 50 for long periods of time. Gusts in excess of 60 were common. I heard one fellow on the ham radio say there were peak gusts of 78 mph in his home weather station in Olcott.

I had raced home from work and the entire commute was full of downed trees and power lines and homes' roofs torn apart. I had really never seen anything quite like it in Niagara County. I hope I never do again.

As you'll see in the photos below, my yard was not spared, a tree just grazing my house and another ripping the service line off my house.


As bad as all of this damage is in the area, we need to understand it could be worse. Violent storms across the US have taken 200 lives the past few days. I'll take property damage over death any day.