Wednesday, June 2, 2010


The Lockport Union Sun and Journal has the aftermath of the Gasport fire on today's front page. The article says...

Niagara County sheriff’s investigators say a teen tossing a cigarette may have caused the fire at the old railroad house Monday night.

A 12-year-old boy said Tuesday that his 15-year-old friend caused the fire at the structure at 4440 Main St. Sheriff’s Capt. Scott Elliott confirmed the boy’s story.

“That’s the lead we’re following,” he said.

The boy said he and his two friends were hanging out behind the building near the train tracks when the fire started from a cigarette that lit a small pile of cottonwood on fire.

“(He) was smoking and when he threw out the butt (of the cigarette) the white stuff caught on fire,” the boy said. “We tried to put it out, but it just spread.”

The article features much more information -- and a picture of the ruins.

Check it out online at: