Wednesday, January 7, 2009

AN INTERVIEW WITH SUPERINTENDENT CANDIDATE KEVIN MACDONALD

CONFER: Please tell us a little about yourself and your experience in the field of education

MACDONALD: I was born and raised in Lockport, attended the Lockport City Schools, and graduated from Lockport Senior High. I continued my education at SUNY Fredonia for my undergraduate degree, earned a Masters Degree from Buffalo State College, and my administrative certification from Niagara University. I have taken a few courses toward my Doctorate at D’Youville College.

I am entering my 16th year in the field. I have gained experience at each level beginning as a teacher and assistant principal in Lewiston–Porter CSD, JSHS Principal in Roy-Hart, Director of Alternative Education at Erie 1 BOCES, and Assistant Superintendent with Orleans/Niagara BOCES. I consider myself fortunate to have a career that has allowed me to stay “home” and advance in my professional goals, and raise a family where my kids are close to their grandparents, aunts and uncles.



CONFER: How would you describe your style of leadership…both in the school and in the community?


MACDONALD: Perhaps the best description of me is hard working, honest, and approachable. I think the best description of my leadership style is “situational leadership” as defined by Ken Blanchard. I try to adapt my style to meet the needs of the people I’m working with, and the goal we are trying to accomplish. The foundation for my leadership style is based on three principles: listening, honesty, and relationships. These principles guide me professionally and personally, in the organization, and in the community. When followed, I believe these principles can lead to the respectful treatment of people, disagreement without dysfunction, and an environment that we would be proud to have our children model.

In the community, I lead by example by being involved. I have been and continue to be involved as a volunteer with a number of community organizations. In 2001 I was one of the founding members of the Towpath Optimist Club, and assisted in organizing a student chapter (Leo Club) in the Roy-Hart JSHS. Currently I am on the Board of Directors of Leadership Niagara as the Vice-Chair. I serve on the Niagara County Workforce Investment Board, the Niagara County Comprehensive Economic Development Committee, Niagara Frontier Industrial Education Council, and the Committee for Identifying and Developing Educational Leaders (CIDEL). Finally, I am very involved in coaching youth hockey for the Wheatfield Blades Youth Hockey Organization, and sit on the board as the Assistant Treasurer.




CONFER: What do you see as Roy-Hart’s greatest strengths? What attracted you to the Royalton-Hartland District?

MACDONALD: Serving as the Jr./Sr. High School Principal eight years ago provided some insight to the people in the district. In the time I was here, and since leaving, I have always maintained that the people (staff, students, parents, community members) we very supportive of their schools, and the schools were a source of pride. In recent years the District has continued to advance academically as it is meeting or exceeding state benchmarks in the 3-8 assessment programs. In the last year Roy-Hart students had the highest average SAT scores in Niagara County. I know Roy-Hart offers a well rounded education and has been recognized for their music programs, theatrical productions, and various sports teams throughout the years.

The size of the district lends itself to taking a personalized approach to the Superintendency. As the Superintendent I plan to spend time at extra-curricular events that will allow me to build relationships with staff, students, and community members on a professional and personal level. Finally, I have grown up personally and professionally in Niagara County, and hope to be able to continue my career locally. I believe the relationships and networks I have built will allow me to hit the ground running as the next Superintendent, and make a difference for our future generations.



CONFER: What do you see as Roy-Hart’s greatest weaknesses?


MACDONALD: In the face of state aid reductions, and economic uncertainty for a few years to follow, the greatest challenge is providing a quality education that the community will value and support. While some difficult decisions will lie ahead, strong leadership by the Board of Education and the Superintendent, built on a foundation of honest and open communications with the various district stakeholders, will ensure that quality educational programs in the Royalton–Hartland CSD continue to thrive.