Thursday, December 25, 2008

St. MARY'S SCENE FINDS NEW HOME IN LOCKPORT

The Lockport US&J reports....

Helen Burdett, 85, is still a bit unsettled with the Diocese of Buffalo merger that meant St. Mary’s of Gasport became part of St. John the Baptist, but now she is a part of the Catholic Church on Chestnut Street. The mother of four had been a member of St. Mary’s since it was dedicated in 1968.

Ten years later, she created a nativity set for the small church on West Avenue. With the merger, Burdett offered the nativity set to St. John’s, but didn’t know if the city’s largest Catholic parish would have a place for it.

It turns out, there is a proper place for it. Her work is on display in a window cove to the left of the pulpit. “When I looked at it on Sunday, I was so surprised,” she said. “I was hoping St. John’s would accept it, and they did. I was happy. It has a home.”

Burdett started the project 30 years ago with three pieces, Mary, Joseph and the Baby Jesus. She pictured a spot for the Holy Family in front of St. Mary’s and went to work. She found the raw pieces at a shop in Clarence, where they were baked in a large oven. It was a mess when she started, and the pieces had to be cleaned of excess clay, sanded and painted. She wanted them done for Christmas 1977.

“I got hepatitis from making those three and I didn’t know if I would ever finish it,” she said. “I must have 20 coats of spray on them, every morning, every night and in between. I did that in the house, and I didn’t know the effects. The next year, I was smarter. I did them outside.”

Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver and it can be caused by one of many things — including by a toxin in the air.

Burdett found the rest of pieces for the nativity the next year. “They OK’d me and it was all right,” she said. “I didn’t have to be hospitalized and I went ahead and got the rest of them.”

The ceramic set has sheep and shepherds, kings and camels, a stable and crib on straw, plus an angel overlooking Bethlehem.


To the read the entire article, go here:

http://www.lockportjournal.com/local/local_story_359235535.html