Friday, September 12, 2008

DRAINAGE ISSUES IN ROYALTON

The Lockport Journal reports....

ROYALTON: Drainage problems discussed at Town Board meeting

The town is considering a drainage law, and the problem was personalized by a Riddle Road man at Monday night’s public hearing. The resident, Michael Thompson, addressed the board and told of a neighbor who raised his land level and cut off the drainage for his property which has been flooded.

“I lost my property. He stole my property. He stole my yard,” he said. “It backs up on my property. I haven’t been able to use my property for a year. I lost all my crops.”

The father of six feels that the neighbor is in violation of a law, but Royalton does not have a drainage law.

Supervisor Richard Lang said: “It’s a drainage problem where people are blocking draining ditches. The ditches get plugged up. We will work out a drainage law.”Absent a town drainage law, the only advisory information is on a building permit. “The guy got an attorney and said, ‘We didn’t do anything wrong.’ We’ve been researching it and researching it,” Lang said. “I thought we could do something with the DEC (state Department of Environmental Conservation), and they said we don’t have any jurisdiction.”

Other agencies have not been able to help, claiming it’s a town matter. The board was sympathetic and set another public hearing for Oct. 20 at the town hall.

“It’s a shame we can’t help him now,” said board member Brad Rehwaldt.

“It’s a problem combatting people with more money than you,” Thompson said. “I can’t afford a lawyer.”

“Without a town law, I don’t see any recourse,” said Lang, who hopes a new law is in effect by the end of the year. “We don’t want to rush it. We want to get it right. It’s not complicated. I’ve researched other towns and taken portions of their law.”

In other board news the board will have a public hearing on outside wood burners at 7 p.m. on Oct. 20.


Source: http://www.lockportjournal.com/local/local_story_252233111.html